The commissions keep coming for Gabrielle Lamb, a dancer of stunning clarity who illuminates the smallest details—qualities she brings to the dances she makes, too.
Gabrielle Lamb, winner of a 2020 Guggenheim Fellowship, is a New York City-based choreographer and dancer. Born in Savannah, Georgia, she was trained at the Boston Ballet School and joined Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal in 2000, earning her soloist promotion in 2003. At the invitation of choreographer Christopher Wheeldon she moved to New York City in 2009 to join his company Morphoses.
Ms. Lamb, who began choreographing in 2005, has won a Princess Grace Award for Choreography (2014) and the National Choreographic Competition of Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (2009), as well as, in 2013, 1st Prizes in Milwaukee Ballet’s Genesis International Choreographic Competition and Western Michigan University’s National Choreographic Competition. She was named winner of the Banff Centre’s 2014-15 Clifford E. Lee Choreography Prize; and in 2014 she was honored with a NY City Center Choreography Fellowship. Most recently she was awarded the S&R Foundation's Washington Award Grand Prize for 2018. She was also selected to create for David Hallberg's inaugural American Ballet Theater Choreographic Incubator in both 2018 and 2019.
Her movement style and theatricality have been profoundly influenced by the choreographers whose work she danced during her performing career, including George Balanchine, Jiri Kylian, Mats Ek, Ohad Naharin, Nacho Duato, and Shen Wei. Since moving to New York she has also created leading roles in new works by contemporary artists such as Pontus Lidberg, Luca Veggetti, Matthew Neenan, Adam Barruch, Shannon Gillen, and Emery Lecrone.
She is also self-taught video artist and animator. Her choreography and dance films have been presented by, among others:
· American Ballet Theater
· Works and Process at the Guggenheim
· Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet
· Amy Seiwert's Imagery
· Dark Circles Contemporary Dance
· Big Muddy Dance Company
· Marymount Manhattan Dance Company
· New Chamber Ballet
· Whim W'Him
· The Banff Centre (Alberta, Canada)
· Sacramento Ballet
· Ballet Austin
· Hubbard Street 2
· Milwaukee Ballet
· The Joffrey Ballet Concert Group (NYC)
· Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival
· Ballet Memphis
· SALT Contemporary Dance (Utah)
· The University of Utah
· SUNY Purchase Conservatory of Dance (Class of 2015 Fall Concert)
· Western Michigan University
· The 92nd Street Y
· The Dance Theatre of Harlem
· Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal
· Dance on Camera Festival at Lincoln Center
· Dance Camera West (Los Angeles)
· ReelDance Australia
· The Bravo and ARTV networks of Canada
· New Museum of Contemporary Art (NYC)
· Festival du Nouveau Cinema (Montreal)
· The American Dance Festival
· Festival VideoDanzaBA (Buenos Aires)
" This was full-body dancing, not in an aggressive sense but in that every limb and finger and eyelash of every dancer was engaged in expression. "
Photo by Bamberg Fine Art
Photo by Bamberg Fine Art